Striking out Stigma works with soccer clubs to improve their knowledge about mental health issues, wellbeing and suicide prevention.
Stigma surrounding mental health challenges can prevent us from having conversations that could save a life. That’s why we’re working with soccer clubs to build their knowledge and skills to support their players, staff and families should they experience life struggles, distress or worries.
There are a number of ways you can get involved:
- Organise for a Wellways team member to speak to your club about Striking out Stigma
- Develop a Club Wellbeing Plan
- Download and display the campaign posters and other resources in your club rooms
- Host a mental health/suicide prevention awareness round with similar club or your main rival
- Share key messages from the Striking out Stigma campaign on your clubs social media pages
- Encourage players, committee members, staff to get involved by completing suicide awareness/intervention skills training.
To book a Wellways team member to speak to your club, or for more information about developing a Club Wellbeing Plan please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
From 2021 to 2023 Wellways has developed a formal partnership with Wagga City Wanderers Football Club, to support these initiatives and positively promote the importance of sport and belonging to a team to good wellbeing.
The Striking Out Stigma campaign brand has been made possible by funding from Murrumbidgee Primary Health Network through the Australian Government’s PHN program and the NSW Ministry of Health.