Practical ways to take care of yourself and to treat yourself as kindly as you treat others.
Self care is care provided ‘for you by you’. It’s about identifying your own needs and taking steps to meet them. It is taking the time to do some of the activities that nurture you. Self care is about taking proper care of yourself and treating yourself as kindly as you treat others.
Why it is important to take care of yourself
- Self care is important to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself, sometimes called self-love
- Self care is important for your family and friends too
- Self care is important for your physical health as well as your mind, soul and, let’s face it, your overall health
- Self care is important, but some people think it’s selfish or inconsiderate
- Self care makes you more effective and energetic. When you avoid things that make you feel physically and mentally well, you deplete your confidence and self-esteem
- Self care is setting functional boundaries to take care of yourself shows others that they too need to put themselves first and not overextend or overwork
8 ways you can practice self care
- Identify what activities help you feel your best
- Put it on your calendar – in ink!
- Sneak in self care where you can
- Take care of yourself physically
- Know when to say no
- Check in with yourself regularly
- Surround yourself with great people
- Consider the quality of self care